my life goes on

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Now evacuated to Birmingham...

Since my home in Seabrook still has no sewer, power, or water, we've decided to stay with my brother and sister-in-law in Birmingham, AL. We have such awesome friends and family!

The girls' schools are closed until further notice, the sewer facility in Seabrook is on the verge of failing (according to the city website), and Tim said to PLEASE not come home yet! We are blessed, truly, to have minimal damage. Water through the roof (so, ceilings upstairs have problems), water through the front door, and our fence took a trip elsewhere. Seabrook east of hwy 146 is pretty much underwater(we live 100 yds west of 146). CNN showed one view of 146 in Seabrook with boats in the road. Tim said that's pretty much what the Fire Department has been working through. We were lucky in that we didn't get storm surge to the 24 feet expected, so our house did not flood. I'm taking a crash course in insurance claim filing. Too bad my van didn't get trashed - I need a new car!

There's no reason to go home, but I am so sad not to be there. Being displaced, even though in a place I'm happy to be, is a lot of stress. Not to mention the stupid things one forgets to pack - like nightgowns!

While driving north, I was so amazed and grateful to pass convoy after convoy of electric and phone trucks heading to Houston, as well as convoys of military trucks with supplies. How wonderful people are to help us out!

the psalm for Saturday's Mass was 'offering a sacrifice of praise'. You know, sometimes praise can truly be a sacrifice. It was more so then, when Tim hadn't been allowed in to see the neighborhood. It is still so, since there are so many who have lost it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home